Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Who Am I?

Hi all. My name is Michael Barath; I live in Canton, Ohio. I’m 58 years old, have two grandkids ages 9 and 11, a wonderful wife named Deby, and three Golden Retrievers, Boo, Sophie, and Izzie. I’ve worked full time for 28 years at the County Board of Developmental Disabilities
as a Behavior Trainer, working primarily with folks who have behavioral issues. I recently took a new position as a Staff Trainer, however, so I no longer have to wrestle with people. I also teach as an adjunct at a local college, primarily such fun subjects as web design and digital photography. I am studying for a BS in Photography right now.

I’ve been an avid photographer for many years, but a serious student for only the past few. I bought my first decent digital camera 11 years ago when my granddaughter was born, but have since upgraded. Currently, I shoot with a Nikon D3s. I enjoy low light photography, and the D3s is known for its excellent control over digital noise. I constantly have to make the determination, however, do I put money towards new camera equipment, or buy the kids new shoes. Their feet grow so fast!

 
self portrait with boo
Self-Portrait With Boo
Throughout my life I’ve had and internal debate – is it better to be pretty good at a lot of things, or world class at one thing? Unfortunately, I’ve never had the attention span to commit myself to more than a couple of years on any one pursuit: birding, bicycle racing, dog training, and more. That is, except photography. I can actually combine all my interests with photography by using them as subjects. I don’t know if I’ll ever have the talent to be world class, but so far it still strongly holds my attention.

I have been working on three major projects recently. First is a series of multiple exposures, as seen on the left. Double exposures are done in-camera, with black & white conversion plus additional manipulations done in Photoshop.

Second is a series of interiors shot inside abandoned buildings in downtown Canton, Ohio, my home town.I discovered these spaces over a year ago, and have been spending time photographing these beautiful, moody empty spaces. Finally, I have been shooting dance photography for many years. I love to capture the emotion, grace, and athletic prowess of the dancers.

No comments:

Post a Comment